Interested in a career in travel / tourism? Discover employment opportunities, including full-time jobs and internships, currently open at the Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Executive Director, Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission
Reports To: President & CEO, Washtenaw County CVB
Direct Reports: Sports Sales Account Executive and Interns
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Submit resumes to HR@annarbor.org
Job Summary: Lead the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission with the mission of attracting, retaining and supporting sports and entertainment events that will position Washtenaw County as a premier sports destination and have a positive impact on the economy and quality of life of Washtenaw County residents. Emphasis will be placed on bringing meetings and events to Washtenaw County to increase attendance, economic impact, hotel occupancy and bring positive media exposure for Washtenaw County.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Capture new meetings, competitions, and sports and entertainment events for all of Washtenaw County by evaluating new business opportunities and leads.
- Cultivate and maintain close working relationships with local, regional, national and international sports organizations that have events, meetings and conventions on which to bid.
- Maintain relationships with elected officials, various municipal staff, event producers, local media, venue managers, various university officials to generate new business collaboration opportunities and event partnerships.
- Report to the Sports Commission Advisory Board.
- Organize and provide support to Advisory Board Chair with regular meetings of the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission Advisory Board.
- Work with the VP of Integrated Marketing to develop marketing programs, create and present bid books and aid others in the bidding process.
- Work with EVP of Marketing and Sales to establish sales goals.
- Work with the VP, Finance & Administration to build and manage annual budgets.
- Work with VP of Integrated Marketing to maintain accurate and pertinent sports marketing materials and sports calendars.
- Work with EVP of Marketing & Sales to generate hotel leads (definitive and tentative) to increase hotel occupancy.
- Work with local rights holders to increase attendance for Washtenaw County sponsored sports events.
- Manage, recruit and maintain sports volunteer database that could be used for various sports and special event activities.
- Represent the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission on boards, at community events and as a speaker.
- Represent the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission at industry events, meetings, and conventions.
- Work closely with the athletic departments at the University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University, Concordia, community schools and other sports organizations to represent Washtenaw County on a local, regional and national level to assure the successful acquisition of sports events.
- Develop operations, staffing, and budgetary guidelines for events that would be operated by the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission.
- Solicit and manage sponsorship or other revenue generating programs for the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission.
- Other duties assigned by the President & CEO of the Washtenaw County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s of Science or Arts from a four-year institution required. Master’s degree in sports administration or business preferred.
- Eight years experience in a CVB, Sports Commission or sports industry.
- Relationships and knowledge of the local sports market industry is critical.
- Powerful communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A proven track record of meeting or exceeding goals and building and maintaining successful relationships.
- Experience in developing marketing, public relations and sales plans.
- Proven budget oversight experience.
- Experience working with a board and/or committee structure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and staff under tight deadlines.
- Relationships with key contacts and sports industry leaders.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Products.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboard typing, telephone use, bending, reaching, twisting, sitting, and standing.
- Requires occasional lifting, pushing and pulling objects over 25 pounds.
- Travel in personal automobile required for Bureau business; occasional air travel may be required.
- Occasional off-site work, including weekend and off-hour responsibilities.
Management reserves the right to change or modify job duties and descriptions at any time without notice.
The above-mentioned descriptions are not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts and/or working conditions associated with the Sports Commission Executive Director position. They are intended to be reflections of the principal job elements essential for that position and at any time, without notice, the Sports Commission Executive Director can incur additional responsibilities, which pertain to the success of the Washtenaw County Convention and Visitors Bureau’s and/or the Ann Arbor Area Sports Commission’s mission(s).